Building a killer PHP/Drupal dev environment
I had the pleasure of giving a presentation at the last Jacksonville Drupal Meetup - Building a killer PHP/Drupal dev environment.
Building a local environment for beginners and more advanced high performance environments:
Here's what I covered:
- Web server: Nginx instead of Apache
- Database server: MariaDB instead of MySQL
- Installing WPN-XM package that includes most of the above.
- IDE - either Eclipse or NetBeans
- Database client - HeidiSQL instead of MySQL-Admin
- Command shell - Git Bash instead of Putty, because you need to SSH, but you also need to work locally.
- Settings up XDebug for interactive debugging
- Using SSH tunnel for remote database session as well as PHP debugging session
- Setting up VMs with VirtualBox and TurnkeyLinux
- ... and more ...
We followed two very different approaches - one native stack (WPN-XM in case of Windows) and the other based on a VM running Linux, nginx etc. We spent half of our time on each of the two approaches.
We had a laptop running both the approaches side-by-side. Follow the links above to download and configure the software used.